Monday 21 January 2013

Choose the Path of Light

Hey there,
Still steadily reading my Bible passages and cooking, I am just finding it hard to write. I have school, placement, my job, church, Campus for Christ, exams etc. Quite the hectic life I lead. However instead of telling you what I am thinking of the scriptures again because it would be an information overload, I will instead share with you my thoughts on a sermon my pastor gave from a while back. They are still relevant especially because of the new year so enjoy. It enjoys some personal notes, because as you will see I broke up with the very boy who helped bring me back to God. Ignore that if you want, the message will still be clear.


Pastor John spoke much today of small openings that can allow the devil to wedge himself inside of you. Selfishness, doubts, hatred, bringing another down. all of these things allow the devil to step inside you, no matter how close you were to the Lord before.

Judas sat almost directly as Jesus' right hand man, and yet upon his takng of the morsel the devil entered into him. He was a disciple, and had been within Jesus' presence for 3.5 years, and even then allowed the darkness inside? So what chance do any of us have?

it is hard but I have faith that if I am to stay postive and remain on the path that the Lord has so clearly set out for me, then I will in fact stay clear of the darkness. 

the other thing that stuck out to me today about the service today was the idea of forgiveness for last year, and of new plans for this year. of making each decision by founding yourself first in Jesus. Not making a single decision unless you feel as though you would have His full blessing.  And that is how I have faith in Caleb and I. I prayed to the Lord often for guidance pertaining to him and I, for a hint of what to do. I had my worship time, and offered to him my love in return for His, and in return for the wisdom he would bestow upon me. And I feel as though He is in full support of what I have planned for Caleb and I, that if he could forgive me for what I have done to hurt the path he has chosen for me, that others will as well. Pastor John said that the path we choose for this year should lead us to the light, and take us farther away from the darkness, and that decision for me is Caleb. Pastor John also spoke of taking the scenic route rather than the fastest. 

Drawing upon Psalm 23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 

My other thoughts were surrounding David. David committed adultery, and murdered for personal gain, and was truly corrupted. He repented, and the Lord forgave him. If this level of forgiveness is possible then surely so is mine? Surely if others can believe that David was good and that he was worthy of forgiveness than so to am I. this gives me great hope. The Lord asks us to humble ourselves and not compare ourselves and our faith to other Christians, to say that we are better or worse than they. but I do not believe as though this is the context in which he meant, for surely He would like for us to draw hope from the holy scriptures. 

Next pastor John made reference to Ephesians 5 

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 

AND EPHESIANS
6. 

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

 11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

 12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

 13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

 14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

 15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

 16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

These both got to me today. if I step into the world and outfit myself with the armour of God then I can stand against all. I can help the thoughts of darkness to perish in my heart, and cast the devil from my life forever. If I am to live in His image, then I am to live a holy blessed life. This has really got me to thinking...probably more on this later. I do my best but I am not perfect, and I am not close to living in his image yet, but I want to be, and one day I will be. 

Finally came his talk of the Lord choosing the one you are to be with, choosing your life partner (2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?) He said simply that you should let Jesus make the decision for you when you are ready. That He would know best of all who you should be with, and to that statement I wholeheartedly agree. I feel as though the hardships set before Caleb and I were designed not simply to torment us, but to bring us closer together, to draw us closer to one another and to the Lord. That the Lord has blessed our union so that we may set upon the path he has designed for each of us. I ask anyone to try to stand against Him on this matter. I tried. I left Caleb, I said it was too hard and that I could not do it anymore. I let the devil inside. I let myself be led astray by doubts, and fears, and the selfishness of my own self preservation. I let these consume me, and instead of turning to the one person who I could trust to turn me back onto God's plan for me, I left him. I left Caleb with no say in the matter. I wont do this again, I wont turn my back on my Father's plan for me, when he is so clearly pointing me to Caleb. 

A friend and I have been talking lately of ridding our lives of all that goes against God's word, even if this means people as well. People who will try to lead us astray, or who do not accept us as we are, as followers of Christ. those who purposefully try to lead us from this path. 

Anyways, these are my thoughts about the sermon,

Love,

Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment